Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Imagine If You Will...

Imagine If You Will... (Rod Serling voice)

... Your football team takes the field in a strange stadium away from home. The expectations are high but the wiser fans know that the football does not always bounce as expected. In this game, your defense surrenders 35 points by way of a surgical "dink and dunk" passing attack along with steadily effective running plays. Your offense cannot establish any sort of rhythm and sputters despite having many potential playmakers. At the conclusion of this disappointing contest, your fan base is convinced that your team is finished for the season and a great malaise befalls even the most optimistic observers. There is nothing but doom and despair. The apocalypse is nigh. Now imagine that everything you believe, everything that your eyes have told you, everything you have heard far and wide, are about to be turned completely upside down. You have just entered the Dawglight Zone...


I could be referring to the game Saturday in the Georgia Dome, but instead I was harkening back to an unnerving loss to a Tennessee team in 2007 that was nowhere near as consistently good as the Boise team that just beat us. And we lost in Knoxville by a score of 35-14, looking absolutely listless in the process. Yet, somehow, that Georgia team got its collective shit together and went on to win the remaining 7 games and finished ranked #2 in the country. I am not proposing that this is what will happen in 2011, but I am proposing that sometimes teams really do come together, turn the corner and reach their potential. I am not sure exactly what is the potential of this UGA squad, but all summer long I have expected that the over/under on wins would be around 9.5. And if we are to win 9 or 10 games, this would be a fantastic week to get the first one. Winning the SEC East was not and is not an unreasonable goal. It is still fully attainable. We must funnel our energy in a positive way to help this football team GATA on Saturday and get a much needed crucial victory over South Carolina and the evil one.

Hang in there Dawgs. Hang in there like a bloody tick.

Go Dawgs. GATA!

3 comments:

Robert Wolfe said...

The feeling I had leaving the Georgia Dome on Saturday night reminded me exactly of the feeling I felt in 2007 leaving Neyland Stadium. I was glad we turned it around in 2007. That season provided some great memories with the Blackout and the Sugar Bowl.

All of our goals are still attainable. Our Dawgs just have to GATA. Saturday, they will.

Bernie said...

I'm still pretty disgusted. I needed this. Thanks Hamp!

Amanda said...

Oh I remember this show. I always watch this.. such a nice show.. Amanda Vanderpool CEO