Thursday, October 15, 2009

A Nine Pound Hammer or a Woman Like You

One of my favorite contemporary musicians is Ray LaMontagne who sings a song called "Jolene" - as does The Zac Brown Band. I don't know who wrote and first recorded this version of the song, but it is different than Dolly's version. In the song, he sings... (at the 2:48 mark)

A man needs something he can hold on to
A nine pound hammer or a woman like you
Either one of them things will do



At this point in the season, sitting at 3-3 and with the specter of more losses looming as a real possibility, I think these lines from the song are applicable for Dawg fans. So, I thought I would write about the only thing left for us to hold on to regarding noble goals for this season. Understand, that the scenario below is absolute best-case scenario and highly improbable, but as Ray sings... we need something to hold on to - at least for the next two weeks.

How can UGA still win the SEC? Stop laughing, remember... this is an exercise in holding on to some shred of hope despite all of the evidence to suggest that all hope is lost. For the Dawgs to win the East, the following things must happen:

UGA wins all remaining SEC games: Vandy, Florida, Auburn and Kentucky.
Florida loses to UGA and South Carolina
Tennessee loses to Alabama
South Carolina loses to Tennessee

There's your nine pound hammer, Dawg fans. Your on your own finding a woman like Jolene.

1 comment:

MikeInValdosta said...

I like it. I live for it. Now make it happen.

Hell, at this point I'll take 3 and 3, as long as the 3 W's are Florida, Auburn and Tech!

I'm easy.