Saturday, January 09, 2010

Georgia's New Defensive Coordinator will be...

I have not yet opined in this space regarding our DC search. A month ago, I had no idea who we would get. Now, after filtering the scant public information bouncing around and trying to find credibility in the glut of rumors, I am ready to commit. At the time of this writing (Sat afternoon 1/10) I believe Kirby Smart will be our next DC. I am not alone in this thinking and this well-reasoned article by Dawgs BUI reflects my sentiments perfectly.

I have heard the chorus of reasons why we are too ambitious in our hope that Kirby will come to UGA. But, Dawgs BUI makes the case that this is not a basic lateral move. I would add that padding an extra $100-200k on your compensation is not "lateral." If UGA can offer Kirby a contract worth more than $600k, that is a compelling reason to come back to his alma mater. You know what else, I knew Kirby when he played at Georgia and he was not just a brilliant All SEC safety and a great student, he was a Bred-in-the-Bone Bulldog who loved UGA and being a Dawg. That matters. You don't just turn that off when you graduate. Trust me, Kirby wants to see the Dawgs win the SEC East every year and if he wasn't coaching against the Dawgs, he would want them to win the SEC every year. I believe Kirby would want to come back to UGA and help lift us to our first National Championship since he was a little boy.

Finally, I think the largest point to consider is one succinctly made by Dawgs BUI and that is for Kirby to move out from under the Saban shadow to prove that he can build and run a great defense without an overlord. There is no doubt that UGA can bring in top flight defensive talent and Kirby knows he can coach them up and get the most out of them. That is what we have been missing. When Coach Richt announces Kirby Smart as our next Defensive Coordinator, we will all expect an immediate dividend in 2010 and I am confident we will get it.

Go DAWGS! GATK (Get After That Kirby)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you are correct!

tross@rossandlevylaw.com said...

Amen brother. Coach Richt has, once again, shown great class here. I read it as he has waited for the NC game to run it's course. He let Kirby enjoy the prep, the game, and the post game fun. Now, I too believe that Coach Richt will make his move and go get his man. Tubberville to Texas Tech was certainly good for this move to play out.