Saturday, January 12, 2008

DAWGS HOOPS

I am generally not too concerned about UGA Basketball, but that could change if they ever show any signs of life. I am thankful that they beat Ga Tech, again, because it is always good to dominate the nerds.

Today, I watched the Dawgs poor performance at Miss. State. I don't know the stats, but it seemed like we shot about 10% from the field and 25% from the line in the second half. My one observation is that we were missing 8 footers and three-pointers with equal clanginess (as in clanging of the iron all day.) So, it looked like the strategy was, if you are going to miss almost every shot, you might as well shoot contested threes on every possession. You know, just in case. I know we were missing every inside lay-up or put back attempt and that much credit goes to the defense played by MSU. But, my limited basketball strategy would say that if you can't make jumpers, then you should exercise patience and use ball movement and picks to try and get a man open inside for a higher percentage shot. That theory was not put to the test today. I can tell you what strategy did not work... attempting three pointer with less than two passes on every possession. That didn't work.

No comments: